The Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE) demands action from all levels of government.
The Government of British Columbia
- Enact an immediate moratorium on all evictions, demovictions, etc, in British Columbia until the pandemic COVID-19 declaration is ended, with an ensuing grace period. Landlords must allow reasonable payment plans after the moratorium is lifted.
- Take direction from community service groups and provide emergency funding for sanitation and food services as well as safe housing for those vulnerable to the COVID 19 virus including the unhoused and those with multiple health conditions.
- Freeze payments freeze on all high-interest loans with no penalty.
- Enact an immediate freeze on all mortgage foreclosures to prevent working-class people from losing their homes due to decreased wages and the ability to work.
The Government of Canada
- Provide comprehensive paid sick leave for all workers, including paid leave for all workers who are quarantined or required to self-isolate
- Provide full EI equivalent for laid-off workers, regardless of previous contributions and without any waiting period
- Increase the income replacement of EI from 55% to 90% for low wage employees.
- Provide financial support for precarious gig workers, people who work in the informal economy and contractors who do not have access to employment insurance.
- Require banks and major lenders to extend the mortgage default period and/or defer mortgage payments.
- Provide support for small businesses that have to close due to COVID-19
- Enact and adequately fund an emergency housing program to end homelessness.
- Immediate release people who are at risk at immigration detention centers.
City of Vancouver
- Immediately offer adequate housing to all homeless people
- To use all its powers to ensure that the other levels of government carry out theses demands
Vancouver Coastal Health
- Provide free medical treatment and COVID-19 testing to all living in Canada regardless of status
Jean Swanson 604 729 2380
Nancy Trigueros, COPE Co-Chair, 604 724 4580