The Vancouver Election Office is now open. For additional information on how to vote, please see the Vancouver Election Office website.

FAQ: Municipal Election 2008

Q: Why should I care about voting in the Vancouver Municipal Elections?

A: Civic policy affects all of us on a day-to-day basis, whether it be when we take the bus, go to our local swimming pool, or drop our kids off at school. Policy matters.

In many countries, people can’t express their political opinion by voting. In Canada, having the right to vote gives us the opportunity to have a say in the political process. Even with one vote, one can influence the outcome of an election and, furthermore, the policies which affect our city today and in the future. With Vancouver rapidly changing, this is a crucial election.

Historically, voter turnout for municipal elections has been low – let’s change that this time around and create a Vancouver for Everyone!

If I want to vote in The City of Vancouver’s next general local election being held on Saturday, November 15, 2008, 8 am – 8 pm, what am I supposed to do?

A: If your name is on the City’s Voters List, you will receive a “Where to Vote” card in the mail around the end of October. This card will show your voting division and voting place address. It’s too late to pre-register, but you can register on election day at your voting division/poll (see required identification below).

Q: Who is eligible to be a resident elector?

A: To vote in the Vancouver municipal election as a resident elector, you must meet ALL of the following requirements:

– You will be age 18 or older on general voting day (November 15, 2008).
– You are a Canadian citizen.
– You have been a resident of B.C. for at least 6 months immediately before the day you register to vote.
– You have been a resident of Vancouver for at least 30 days immediately before the day you register to vote.
– You are not disqualified by the Vancouver Charter, the School Act, or any other enactment from voting in an election nor are you otherwise disqualified by law from voting.

Q: If I haven’t registered in advance, where can I register?

A: If you haven’t registered in advance, you can register at the voting place on Election Day. To register at the voting place, you will be required to show two pieces of identification containing your name and address. One of these pieces of identification must also contain your signature. These identification requirements apply to both resident electors and non-resident property electors.

Q: If I want to register to vote on E-day, what are acceptable forms of identifications?

A: Examples of acceptable ID documents are:
– B.C. Driver’s License
– B.C. ID card from Motor Vehicle Branch
– ICBC Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle License
– B.C. Care Card
– Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8
– Social Insurance card; Citizenship Card; property tax notice
– credit card or debit card
– utility bill for electricity, natural gas, water, telephone or cable services
– welfare cheque stub showing identifying information
– statutory declaration or sworn affidavit (from a notary public, lawyer, or commissioner for taking oaths)

If you are a non-resident property elector, you will also have to provide proof of ownership, and proof of the consent of the other owners of your property.
Examples of acceptable proof of ownership documents are
– property tax notice
– assessment notice
– certificate of title

Q: Where do I go to vote?

A: The City is divided into voting divisions. To vote on Election Day, you must go to the designated voting place in your voting division.
If your name is on the City’s Voters List, you will receive a “Where to Vote” card in the mail around the end of October. This card will show your voting division and voting place address. You can look up your designated voting place using Voting Place Search Tool on the City-of-Vancouver Website.

You also have the opportunity to vote in advance polls. All electors are eligible to vote in an advance voting opportunity if they choose to do so. Advance voting will take place on November 5, 8, 10 and 12 from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. at the following five locations:
– City Hall
– Dunbar Community Centre
– Trout Lake Community Centre
– West End Community Centre
– Sunset Community Centre

Q: Can I get time off work to vote?

A: No, the local government election legislation does not require employers to give their employees time off work to vote.  However, you should be able to find time to vote, because there are five voting opportunities (Nov. 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15). On each of these days, the polls are open from 8 am to 8 pm.

On Voting