This Saturday, May 8, 9:30-3:30, 411 Seniors’ Centre, 411 Dunsmuir St
The housing crisis affects all of us – young people, seniors and families desperately in need of affordable rentals; people who work in Vancouver but can’t afford to buy a house here; our homeless and underhoused neighbours looking for social housing that doesn’t exist.
COPE is sponsoring a day-long discussion about SOLUTIONS to these problems. What can city government do? What can neighbourhoods do? What can non-profits do? What should we expect from the private sector? What about co-ops? What are the new and creative SOLUTIONS to the housing crisis?
Our panelists include:
• Christine Ackermann – West End Residents Association*
• Lorraine Copas – Social Planning and Research Council*
• Norm Dooley – Riley Park South Cambie Visioning Committee*
• David Eby – BC Civil Liberties Association* • Brent Granby – West End Residents Association*
• Darren Kitchen – BC Co-operative Housing Association*
• Am Johal – Impact on Communities Coalition*
• Linus Lam – Architecture for Humanity – Vancouver*
• Ian Mass – COPE • Monte Paulsen – the Tyee.ca*
• Alvin Singh – COPE
• Laura Stannard – Citywide Housing Coalition*
• Jean Swanson – Carnegie Community Action Project*
• Sally Teich – East Fraser Lands Committee* …. and more
*Organizations for identification purposes only.
If you have ideas you’d like to share, if you’re interested in the future of Vancouver, if you want to learn, if you want to talk about SOLUTIONS, then join us – Saturday, May 8, 9:30-3:30, 411 Seniors’ Centre, 411 Dunsmuir St.
9:30 – Welcome – Alvin Singh – COPE External Chair
9:40 – Introductory Remarks – The Housing Crisis in Vancouver – the City and Solutions – David Chudnovsky – COPE Internal Chair
10:00 – Panels 1-4 (All will be repeated in the afternoon.)
Affordable Rental Solutions – Monte Paulsen, Christine Ackermann, Laura Stannard, Alvin Singh
Affordable Home Purchase/Co-op Solutions – Ian Mass, Darren Kitchen, representative of Terra Housing
Social Housing and Homelessness Solutions – David Eby, Linus Lam, Lorraine Copas, Am Johal
Organizing Communities for Housing Solutions – Brent Granby, Norm Dooley, Jean Swanson, Sally Teich
11:45 – Plenary Reconvenes
12:00 – Lunch
1:15 – Panels 1-4 repeated
3:00 – Plenary reconvenes and conclusion
3:30 – Adjourn