For Immediate Release: April 10, 2012
Today the Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE) announced the departure of current Executive Director Alvin Singh and the beginning of a comprehensive search for his replacement.
“For almost two years I have had the honour of serving as the Executive Director for COPE, a party that I have been a member of since I was 18 years old,” said Singh. “COPE was my first political home, and to serve as Executive Director has been a personal privilege.”
Singh said that given the current point in the electoral cycle, the timing for a change makes sense and would allow a new ED to comfortably steer COPE into the next election in 2014.
COPE External Chair RJ Aquino thanked Singh for his years of service. “Alvin has been a central figure in our party for many years. His service as a candidate for school board in 2008, as External Chair, and then as Executive Director has made COPE stronger, more professional, and more dynamic.”
Aquino said that while filling Singh’s shoes would be a difficult task, the organization is looking forward to building on his work moving forward.
Details of the position, including a job posting, are posted below and a thorough search has begun. “The role of COPE’s Executive Director is a pivotal one, not just for our party, but for our entire city,” said Aquino.
The COPE Executive anticipates a new Executive Director will be in place by June.
Position Description – Executive Director – Coalition of Progressive Electors (COPE)
The Executive Director (ED) reports to the COPE Executive.
The ED plays a key leadership role in COPE, and is responsible for fundraising, partnership development, public relations, financial administration, project management, member relations, and event coordination. The ED also provides strategic leadership in consultation with the Executive.
The cycle of COPE activities requires that the ED have different priorities at different times in the election cycle. In the period leading up to elections, fundraising, volunteer recruitment and coordinating policy development gain increasing significance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintains ongoing communication with and takes direction from the executive committees.
• Maintains the office, writes and answers correspondence, responds to all electronic and other messages from members, the public and the media.
• Keeps membership lists up to date and accurate.
• Engages the membership through outreach activities and works to build the membership.
• Ensures financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Develops agendas in consultation with chairpersons for exec meetings and other meetings as required.
• Attends caucuses, standing committees, and ad hoc committees as required.
• Provides drafts of public statements, policy documents, media announcements as required.
• Maintains and upgrades website as required and as directed
• Develops and implements internal and external communication strategies.
• Recruits, selects, orients, trains and supervises employees and volunteers while ensuring a safe and secure work environment.
• Helps the executive establish strategic goals by gathering pertinent business, financial, service, and operations information; identifying and evaluating trends and options; suggesting a course of action; defining objectives; evaluating outcomes.
• Stays up to date with current best practices regarding office and organizational administration, political organizing, and member outreach.
Skills: Self-motivated; Working with Committees; Building Consensus; Fostering Teamwork; Coaching Staff, Volunteers, Candidates and Potential Candidates; Managing Projects; Multi-Tasking; Working to Deadlines; Developing and Managing Budgets; Maintaining standards and following Best Practices; Public Speaking and Communicating Policy Positions and Ideas orally and in writing.
Knowledge & Experience: Knowledge and understanding of progressive politics, including COPE’s policies/ practices. Experience working on political campaigns in leadership roles, managing electoral and issue campaigns being an added asset.
Education: BA Political Science/Communications/Related fields, or Equivalent Education and Experience.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MAY 1, 2012 AT 4:00PM PST
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO: COPE@COPE.BC.CA