THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FROM THE CITY OF VANCOUVER:
Anyone may ask to speak to Council. It’s called being a “delegation”. However, you can only speak about an item that is on the agenda for that particular meeting.
Council does not normally hear from the public at Regular Meetings of Council, held on Tuesday afternoons. However, in most cases, if a member of the public asks to speak to Council about a report on a Regular Meeting agenda, the delegation will usually be heard at one of the three Standing Committees of Council (Traffic and Transportation, City Services and Budgets, and Planning and Environment) on a later date. Members of the public may also ask to speak to items on Standing Committee agendas, at Public Hearings, and Special Council Meetings.
If you want to speak to Council about a specific item that is being considered at a Regular Council or Standing Committee meeting, you have the following options:
E-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call the City Clerk’s Office at 604.873.7276
Fax your request to the City Clerk’s Office at 604.873.7419
Mail a written request to:
City Clerk’s Office
Third Floor, City Hall
453 West 12th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4
Make sure to indicate the item you wish to speak on clearly. Refer to the item number, title, and meeting it takes place at.
Requests to speak cannot be added to a meeting’s speakers list prior to the publication of the meeting agenda, which typically occurs one week in advance. Phone and email requests must be received the day prior for morning meetings and two hours prior for afternoon and evening meetings. Requests can be made in person up to ten minutes prior to the commencement of the meeting. If time permits, the meeting chairperson may also invite unregistered attendees to speak.
Here are some tips about speaking to Council:
- Keep your presentation brief. Council may have to hear numerous presentations, especially on controversial issues. For everyone to be heard, and a decision to be made, Council limits speaking time to five minutes each (except at Public Hearings).
- Council may ask you questions after your presentation.
- If you need audio-visual equipment for your presentation, arrange for it well ahead of time by calling the City Clerk’s Office at 604.873.7276.
- If you are bringing written submissions for Council, please bring at least 15 copies with you.
- If you do not wish to speak to Council but still want to express your views, you may submit a letter or other written document. Unless you are taking copies to the meeting, written submissions should reach the City Clerk’s Office at least one day before the meeting to be sure they can be distributed in time.